Sunday, August 8, 2010

My 2nd round of chemo they gave me the test drug I was going to be on along with the standard chemo. It is called Avastin. This drug isn't supposed to have to many side effects and the one it has are very rare. Well, I see the Dr every three weeks before each first session of a new cycle begins. When I went back to see the Dr for the 1st session of my 3rd cycle he found that I developed a rare side effect from the test drug. It only happens to 1 in over 1000 people. I developed a hole in my bladder so he cancelled chemo and sent me straight for xrays that day. The xrays confirmed the hole in the bladder. If it doesn't heal on it's own then I have to have another major surgery to fix it with 6 weeks of recovery time. Surgery sucks, so I pray it heals on its own, so far it has been about 8 weeks and it still has not healed on it's own totally. I will have to wait about a month after chemo ends to get my immune system back up and then have the surgery if it still is not healed.

Every week they draw my blood to make sure my white blood cell count is high enough to get chemo. They also test a lot of other things in my blood each week. Well the week after they found the hole in my bladder my blood counts dropped significantly. The week before it was at 1800, when it was re-tested the following Wed. it was down to 800. The next day they tested it again right before chemo hoping it was a bad blood draw the day before. On Thurs it was down to 500. No one is still sure why it dropped, but they had to cancel chemo again. My blood level needs to be at 1000 in order to get chemo. Because my levels were so low they put me on antibiotics and told me stay away from germs and people because I was at high risk to get an infection. The last thing you want while on chemo is to get sick or get an infection as your bodies immune system is unable to fight it off as it normally would. They then decided that because my blood counts dropped that I would need to start getting Nuelsta shots every 3 weeks in order to increase my white blood count. Nuelesta shots have a side effect of causing bone pain because it gets the white blood cells from your bone marrow. I had heard that taking Claritin could help with this bone pain so I had been taking the Claritin. The first time I had the shot I also took Ibuprofen 800 before the shot and a few times after the shot. I didn't have much bone pain, just a little so I felt blessed because some people have horrible pain from this. Well my 2nd shot which was just over a week ago I forgot to take the Ibuprofen after the shot and I had bone pain. It hurt for about a week from the top of my head all the way down to the bottom of my spine. I started taking the Ibuprofen 800 and it helped, but it still hurt pretty bad. As of right now I have 1 shot left in a couple weeks so hopefully that week is not bad as far as the bone pain. I am now down to the end so I do not have to much longer to go which is nice.

2 comments:

  1. oh Missy---you are so brave. Many prayers to ease your pain and heal your body. You are loved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, I am praying for your health and recovery. You are also just in my thoughts constantly. I am glad someone here at work forwarded your blog to me as I just had an appt. with my OB yesterday and we were discussing the BCRA(sp?) testing because ovarian and breast cancer run in my family. After reading your blog, I feel better informed. Thank you for being so brave and your positive, blessed attitude amaze and inspire me!
    XOXO,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete