Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Chemo Started

Like I mentioned before, the plan was to work M-W and have chemo on Thursdays. I started back to work on April 12 and chemo started on tax day, April 15th. The plan to work M-W didn't end up working out so well. Chemo really has taken a lot out of me and for more than just a couple of days. I was to have 18 weeks, 6, 3 week cycles of chemo. The first week of each cycle the hardest, the 2nd was still not easy, and the 3rd wasn't as bad. Just by the Wed I start to feel better, it starts over again!

The first chemo treatment, I was very nausea and had a lot of anxiety. I was very scared! I kept thinking am I going to get sick now or in 5 mins, or 10 mins, etc. It was awful and the nausea lasted over a week. I would have allergic reactions where my tongue would swell up. Luckily I had a couple good friends to help and with a phone call to the Dr and benadryl I was off to sleep. That was the Sat after my first treatment.

Another weird side effect, my eye sight even changed. The day after my first chemo, on Fri I noticed I could not see as well. I had never heard of vision changing with chemo, but mine did. I had to get a new prescription at the eye Dr and he confirmed my eye sight was worse.

I went through about 5 weeks of chemo before my hair started to come out. I didn't want to deal with it just coming out everywhere so as soon as I got the first of the big chuncks in the shower I made the appointment to get it all cut off.

I was very blessed, my dear friend Cheryl just happen to meet a lady from Eden Day Spa at FL Hospital. It is a spa for cancer patients only, but it is not cheap. My Ins would not cover a wig and wigs are not cheap. The synthetic hair starts around $200 and the good stuff, real hair starts around $600 and goes up from there. Well when I found out the cost I went to the American Cancer Society and got a wig for free. This wig however, is a little big for my head, but looks adorable with a hat. In FL summer who wants to have to wear a wig and a hat!?? They are so hot and uncomfortable! Well, I mentioned I was blessed! The lady, Sandy at Eden Day Spa whom my friend just had happened to meet insisted I should just come in for a consultation, that I didn't have to buy anything. Well went I went in she found a Free, Donated, Real Hair Wig for me! It was the wrong color, very light blonde, but all I had to pay for was the color, trim, and service. The cut and color are just like what I already had. Noone that doesn't know can't even tell. It is awesome and I am truly blessed, because it would have cost over $1000. Being sick, I am not earning the income I need so the last thing I needed was to pay a lot of money for hair! Call it what you want, but I don't believe in coincidenses. I believe God was taking care of me and my needs through my friend Cheryl meeting Sandy.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I believe God WAS taking care of you...right along side your mom. Lots of hug to you!

    ReplyDelete